Thursday, March 6, 2008

System

Thanks to geniuses at Collectorz.com (just follow the link on the left). I have the perfect system to keep my collection in order. With the help from Ziotek and Cyberguys storage is a breeze (Note if you're interested I'd buy them from the different sites, Cyberguys bundles the package but if you get it straight from the Collectorz website you get free LIFETIME upgrades, I've gone through 4 upgrades). Here is how I roll. 2 Zio Carousels (hold 150 DVDs each) and software from the collectorz website. The two carousels are full and I need a third. The software is linked with The Internet Movie Database and as soon as you enter either the name, scan the bar code, or enter the bar code numbers all the info for the movie goes from IMDB straight to your computer. SWEET! It also keeps track on what you lent out, to whom, and when it's due back. Lets not stop there, it also allows you to create custom fields to track what ever you like. For me, I have one that tracks how many times I've watched something (Ex: Shawshank Redemption = Viewed 15 times) and another one that tracks whether or not I've entered it into my manual catalog (this is where my OCD kicks into hyperdrive: I made little print outs of the dvd cover art [loaded from IMDB] and put them in baseball card sleeve/leaflets and ordered them by category and numbered based on location in the carousels = what does all this mean, I don't have to have my computer on when company comes over, just hand them the binder and have them pick out the movie, read me the number, I punch it in directly on the carousel, and out pops the DVD). I'll post pictures of my catalog some other time.

Here are the carousels daisy-chained together (you can chain up to 5 for 1 USB port) so that it doesn't take up all your USB inputs (with the help from a hub you chain 127 on one computer = 19,050 DVDS).


Now lets put that all together with my HUGE monitor and we have...


For a little perspective here is the Mrs doing some homework...


Am I a DVD Super Freak or what! Say it loud "I'm a Nerd and I'm Proud!!!!"

No comments: